For 2 million pairs of eyes, the video is chock full of Colorado narrow gauge action (and a bit of RGSR's standard gauge engine 18). Thus, I've produced a small collection of notes detailing the different segments with links so you can skip to the parts that interest you. Honestly, my first impulse is to just let it run and see if you can identify the segments yourself. Just in case, however, I put the cheat sheet below.
Note: clicking the time links below will open the video in a second window (after an ad, which I have no control over, unfortunately)
- 0:01 - 0:12 Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge RR (D&SNG) Eureka & Palisade engine 4 "Eureka" crossing Animas River south of Silverton
- 3:03 - 5:46 Denver & Rio Grande Western (D&RGW) engine 315, which was restored by Durango Railroad Historical Society, at work pulling various specials on the D&SNG.
- 8:13 - 11:43 C&TS and Mudhen 463
- 8:13 D&RGW 463, one of two surviving "Mudhens," leads a double-header on the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic RR (C&TS) along with D&RGW 487 on a mixed photo freight over the 63 mile line.
- 8:43 passing the tank at Lava
- 9:06 entering the bottom of Tanglefoot Curve below Cumbres Pass
- 10:38 exiting the top of Tanglefoot Curve immediately above the entrance
- 11:08 decending the 4% grade toward Chama, NM (love the through-truss shot!)
- 11:44 - 12:03 D&RGW mikado 484 on the C&TS rounding the balloon loop at Antonito, turning the train for the return trip to Chama.
- 15:38 Intro photo of San Luis & Rio Grande SL&RG railroad standard gauge engine (former LS&I) 18 descending towards La Veta, CO with a consist for SL&RG's passenger arm the Rio Grande Scenic Railroad (RGSR)
- 15:48 - 17:50 SL&RG 18 eastbound from Alamosa across the San Luis Valley then climbing the grade toward La Veta Pass and topping the grade at Fir, CO. Finally, descending the east side of the pass nearing La Veta, CO
- 17:51 - 19:57 SL&RG 18 returns with the same consist climbing dramatically back over La Veta Pass to Alamosa. Notice the wheel slip by locomotive 18 starting at 19:10. Don't get stingy with the sand now!
- 20:03 - 22:05 Eureka & Palisade number 4 idles for water at Hermosa then departs northbound for Silverton. (several beautiful shots)
- 22:06 - 22:10 Photo of the west side of Durango's Narrow Gauge Avenue (yes, technically a street)
Great videos, Mike!◊